Local Review: "The Rocky Horror Show" at EPCC


   To start off this review, I must say that I have never seen "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" or "The Rocky Horror Show".....ever. So, I was very interested in finally seeing what a big deal this cult classic was. I did enjoy the show and I can totally see why it is so popular. The music is fun and the script is (mostly) well written and easy to follow. Although I did enjoy the show very much, I cannot see myself getting in on the "Rocky Horror" trend, just because it's not exactly my cup of tea.

   The show got off to a nice, calm start with the song "Science Fiction, Double Feature" (sung by the character of the Usherette played by Christina Marquez) and we were introduced to the characters of Brad and Janet (played by Erick Canales and Jordyn Catnach) and then their car breaks down and they go into a house seeking help, but it turn out that the house turns out to be a crazy transsexual scientist's house, and wacky hijinks ensue!.....God, I made it sound like something that would be on Cartoon Network....

   The crazy transsexual scientist named Frank was played by Charles S. Kolodgy. Kolodgy absolutely KILLED it in the role. From the second he stepped onstage and sang the song "Sweet Transvestite", I and the rest of the audience were super impressed. He just played the craziness that is the role of Frank perfectly. I would like to see him play the role of Hedwig in "Hedwig and the Angry Inch" (only after I play it of course).

  Erick Canales and Jordyn Catanach did a well job in the roles of Brad and Janet. Their first duet "Damn it, Janet" sounded very nice. They both fit their roles and their performances were very believable.

   Other standouts in the cast include Jordon Gallardo (The Narrator), Diego Oropeza  (Rocky), and Abraham Rea (Riff Raff). I am not saying they did bad, because they didn't, but I wasn't too crazy about Magenta (Krystal Gamez) or Columbia (Larissa Reyes). Also, the ensemble was sort of just there. I think they probably could have gone without an ensemble, they didn't add or take away from anything whatsoever.

 The plot to "The Rocky Horror Show" was mostly easy to follow, one part that I absolutely did not get was the floor show. Somebody please educate me on it's purpose. The music has a very "Little Shop of Horrors"-ish vibe to it. Was that just me or does everyone else feel that vibe?

 The set looked really awesome and it was very well put together and detailed.The costumes looked really great onstage, specifically Columbia and Frank's costumes. I also really enjoyed the lighting design. At the beginning of the show, the sound was quite weak, but luckily it picked up by the third of fourth song.

  I give the show 4 stars. I give the show 4 stars because the show moved at a bit of a slow pace and some of the harmonies need A LOT of work and the show was just not completely within my taste. I would like to see EPCC do something more classical as all of the shows they do are contemporary and/or super gaudy. But overall, great job to the EPCC Theatre Ensemble, I hope they keep up the good work.

"The Rocky Horror Show" written by Richard O' Brien runs at the EPCC Forum Theatre (Transmountain Campus) runs October 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, an 30 at 8 PM, October 25 at 2:30 PM and a special performance on October 30 at 11:55 PM.




 Image result for 4 stars out of 5
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)