7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 3: The Complete Syphonic Recording (1989)

                                         Day 3: The Complete Symphonic Recording!!!!!

    Out of all of the cast recordings of "Les Miserables", the Complete Symphonic Recording is by far my favorite cast recording of this show. This is my favorite "Les Miserables" cast recording because it is the only cast recording (in English) that contains the entire score, which is basically the entire show (for the 8 people who haven't seen "Les Mis", the show is an operetta, it is sung through) and the cast is PHENOMENAL. There is not a weak link and it is in my opinion, the one of the best casts of this show, that I know of.

  Gary Morris is an incredible Jean Valjean. His voice is very similar to that of Colm Wilkinson. Every single one of his numbers gave me chills. I would love to see him in this role. Vocally, he is by far one of the best Jean Valjeans out there.

Gary Morris as Jean Valjean
  Phillip Quast is AMAZING as Javert. He has such a strong voice and like Gary Morris, he often gave me chills. At some points, I would get scared while listening to his voice, which works perfectly for the character. He gave vocally, one of the most memorable performances as Javert.

 Debra Byrne (Fantine) gave a beautiful rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream". She has a SLIGHTLY deeper voice compared to other Fantines, and I adore her for that. Another strong performance came from Kaho Shimada as Eponine. Apparently, the role of Eponine is the only bit of English Shimada knew at the time of this recording, but you can barely even tell. She has a very strong voice and gave a great rendition of Eponine's big number "On My Own".

 A great improvement from the last recording I heard of him, was Michael Ball in the role of Marius. He has a strong voice and his rendition of "Empty Chairs at Empty Tables" was haunting.

 Other standouts on this recording are Barry James and Gay Soper as the Thenardiers, Anthony Warlow as Enjorlas, and Tracy Shayne as Cosette.

  At this time, I would like to give a shout out to Ross McCall's (Gaveroche) death scene (Oops, I just spoiled it for 8 people, might as well just spoil the rest...EVERYONE DIES). McCall is one of the few people I have seen or heard play Gaveroche, that actually sings like he is being shot. He doesn't try to sound all perfect while being shot.

 You can practically hear the energy and excitement of the cast in the recording studio. The recording is nearly 3 hours long, but it doesn't even feel like it thanks to the energy from the cast. The orchestra is also one of the best that I have heard from this show. It is so hard not to give this recording 5 stars...so 5 STARS.




                                         Image result for 5 stars




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)