SPOILER FREE REVIEW OF THE NEW "INTO THE WOODS" MOVIE

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!! Today I attended the first showing of opening day of Disney's new film "Into the Woods" Which as you well may know is the film version of the original Sondheim/Lapine  musical.

       Being a huge fan of the original stage show, I was very excited to see what Disney did with the piece. I was not disappointed. Despite a few problems, They did justice to the original show.

 I'm going to start off with the cast:

  Meryl Streep as the Witch: She did great. She made the role her own. Her singing voice has definitely improved since "Mamma Mia" and she acted the heck out of the part. She did way better than I thought she would. Her strongest songs were "Stay With Me" and "The Last Midnight". Her weakest song was the rap she does in the prologue.  She will definitely get an Oscar nomination.

   James Corden does a well job as the Baker. He had strong acting skills and an excellent set of pipes. I can see him doing a lot of other roles in musical theatre.

  Emily Blunt as The Baker's Wife: WOW. JUST WOW. She can act and she could sing. "Moments in the Woods" was a true highlight of the entire film. She just pulled it off so well and didn't copy Joanna Gleason (the original) like most of the Baker's Wives I have seen.  APPLAUSE

       Anna Kendrick as Cinderella: Phenomenal. I've never seen anyone sing that score like she did. She belted it out and rocked it. I CANNOT wait to see her in the film adaptation of Jason Robert Brown's "The Last 5 Years".

    Chris Pine and Billy Magnussen as Cinderella and Rapunzel's Prince: They are both true highlights of the film. They both did great jobs with both their acting and singing. When Chris Pine sang he sounded like Russell Crowe as Javert but way better.

       Lilla Crawford and Daniel Huttlesone as Little Red and Jack both did amazing jobs in the entire film.  They both have phenomenal voices and acting chops.

        Johnny Depp as the Wolf: He did fine. That's all. I just thought he did fine.

Mackenzie Mauzy as Rapunzel. Rapunzel is my least favorite character in the show because she's so pathetic and obnoxious. This time, she was not pathetic and obnoxious which I loved. Mauzy did great.

         I felt that the second half of the film was rushed.  Usually the second act always feels really long but perfect for me, but in the film it's rushed and still perfect.

  They cut "No More" and that made me sad because it's one of my favorite songs. They also cut "Ever After" which was upsetting.
 
 The special effects were stunning, The orchestra was amazeballs, the birds are hilarious , and just the entire thing was spectacular.

       If you are familiar with the stage show you will notice that Disney cut a few things to make it more child appropriate.

        Overall, It was a great film and I'm already planning on seeing it a couple more times. GO SEE IT AND GO LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)