The Original Broadway Production of "Hamilton: An American Musical" written by Lin-Manuel Miranda Review ☑



                                                  SPOILER ALERT-SPOILER ALERT                                                                     
   Something really big happened to me the day after I saw "The King and I"on Broadway. I saw the original cast of "Hamilton" on Broadway.

   I was already a really huge fan of "Hamilton" , so of course I couldn't believe I got into that show, as it is sold out until August of 2016. I was in the standing room area, so I stood for the entire show. The view was surprisingly quite good. I was able to see the whole stage and even faces. Our only obstruction was the mezzanine overhang.

The view from the standing room area


  "Hamilton" tells the story of Alexander Hamilton, the young, scrappy, and hungry immigrant who went on to become the nation's first secretary of the treasury. The show begins when Alexander Hamilton first meets Aaron Burr in the revolutionary era (the man who will end his life) and ends with Hamilton's untimely death at the age of 49.

  It was everything I hoped it would be and more. It was hands down one of the best shows that I have ever seen. I cannot think of absolutely one thing wrong with this show. It is brilliant and it is flawless. Everything from the music, to the sets, to the cast is perfect.

  "Hamilton" is often referred to as a Rap/Hip Hop Musical. While this is true, there are also some classic musical theatre ballads and R&B. The music in this show is sensational. Lin-Manuel Miranda has written one of the best scores and the most meaningful lyrics Broadway has ever heard.

  First of all, I did not see Lin-Manuel Miranda in the role of Alexander Hamilton. I saw his understudy Jon Rua. He was incredible. I went into the show knowing it was only his third performance in the role and I could barely even tell. As the show progressed, Rua became more and more comfortable in the role. He has already settled into the role greatly, from what I can tell. I truly hope he gets more performances in the role.

Lin-Manuel Miranda and the original cast of "Hamilton"

Like Kelli O' Hara in "The King and I" , Phillipa Soo (Eliza, Hamilton's Wife) gave one of the best performances I have seen in anything ever. Soo has one of the best voices I have ever heard. Her big second act number, "Burn", gave me chills. Her acting is so real, when her son, Phillip, dies, she just lets out the loudest most real scream. I wasn't close enough to tell, but I think she might have been crying real tears. She needs to get at least a Tony nomination for this role. Leslie Odom Jr. was phenomenal in the role of Hamilton's friend and enemy, Aaron Burr. That is the only word I have to describe his performance....phenomenal.

 Renee Elise Goldsberry has to win the Tony for her performance as Angelica Schuyler. She always left the audience wanting more of her. Christopher Jackson killed it as George Washington, Daveed Diggs was radiant as Lafayette (America's favorite fighting Frenchman) and Thomas Jefferson, Okierete Onaodowan was just plain AWESOME as Hercules Mulligan (the spy on the inside) and James Madison, Anthony Ramos was charming as John Laurens (Hamilton's closet friend) and Phillip Hamilton (Hamilton's son), Jasmine Cephas Jones was fun as Peggy Schuyler and perfectly seductive as Maria Reynolds (the woman who soils Hamilton's career), and Jonathan Groff was HILARIOUS as King George     

(Left to Right) Phillipa Soo (Eliza), Renee Elise Goldsberry (Angelica), and Jasmine Cephas Jones (Peggy)
                       
    The choreography by Andy Blankenbuehler was spectacular. You could really tell a lot of thought went into that choreography. Thomas Kail staged the show very well. The blocking was very fluid and the storytelling aspect of show is so meaningful and relates to the show greatly. The set by David Korins was simple but still looked very detailed and immense. The lighting and sound design Howell Binkley and Nevin Steinberg was spot on. The use of the lights in "The Battle of Yorktown" was spectacular, everything about that number actually.

 
Lin-Manuel Miranda and the Company
 
    Overall, "Hamilton" was genius and impeccable. It is a groundbreaking show and I am so grateful that I got to see it. This show is going to run forever and I am sure I will see it many more times in the future. One day, I will be able to tell the young people of the future that I saw the original Broadway cast of "Hamilton" and they will be instantly jealous of me. Just like how I get whenever someone tells me they saw the original cast of "Wicked".  Five Stars





                                                  
Image result for 5 stars

                                            

The current Broadway cast of "HAMILTON" consists of:
Alexander Hamilton-JAVIER MUNOZ
Eliza Hamilton- LEXI LAWSON
Aaron Burr- BRANDON VICTOR DIXON
Angelica Schulyer- MANDY GONZALEZ
George Washington- BRYAN TERRELL CLARK
Marquis de Lafayette/Thomas Jefferson- JAMES MONROE IGLEHART
Hercules Mulligan/James Madison-J. QUINTON JOHNSON
John Laurens/Phillip Hamilton- ANTHONY LEE MEDINA
Peggy Schulyer/Maria Reynolds- ALYSHA DESLORIEUX
King George- EUAN MORTON                                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)