"Ragtime: The Musical" National Tour Review

   On December 20 2015, I saw the current national tour of "Ragtime". I enjoyed the show very much, but before I say absolutely anything else, I want to say that I was very disappointed of the set. You are probably going to groan when I say why, but...I was so put off by the fact that all of the "sets" were projections. When it comes to sets, that is probably my biggest pet peeve. It is cheap and makes the stage look empty and thin. I really dislike how projections are starting to take over backdrops. I get that it is 2015 and some people would rather make projections than construct backdrops, but looking at a projection is simply not the same as looking at a backdrop or a set piece onstage.

 "Ragtime" tells the story of three groups of Americans- African Americans, An Upper Class Family, and Eastern European Immigrants. It is a very interesting show and I am interested in learning of the origins of this show, other than the novel by E.L. Doctorow.

  The cast for this show was spot on! Chris Sams was thrilling as Coalhouse Walker, Matthew Curiano was very convincing in the role of Tahteh and Leslie Jackson did a beautiful job as Sarah. I think that out of all the principal performers in the show, the strongest performance came from Kate Turner in the role of Mother. Her voice was absolutely gorgeous and she had a wonderful stage presence. It is hard for me to talk about the other cast members because I have no specifics on the other cast members, but they all did a really phenomenal job.

  Like I said earlier, this was a really interesting show. The plot was intriguing and left me with questions like "How do you bury a baby in a garden?", "How does it survive?", "How do you dig it up?" Oh well, its fiction....I guess I shouldn't really question it. The music in this show is really luscious and it soars. The book of the show is slightly confusing. There are plot elements that I do not understand The second act of this show was nuts. There was a pointless number and the were just too many things going on during that half of the show.

 This production is a visually dark show. The lighting was just darker than it would have been in another show or production. Also, at the performance I was at last night they were having issues with the microphones. Evelyn Nisbet (Jillian Van Niel)'s microphone cut off completely during the song "Atlantic City".

  Overall, I enjoyed "Ragtime" but it is not something I'd go crazy about. However, it is something I would like to see again. I think it is a good show to see just to familiarize yourself with this show. You should totally see this show if it comes to your city. Even if you do not enjoy it, it will give you something interesting to talk about. 3 and a half stars.

Image result for ragtime musical logo

Image result for 3. 5 stars
 

 "RAGTIME: THE MUSICAL"
Book by Terrence McNally
Music by Stephen Flaherty
Lyrics by Lynn Ahrens
Based on the novel "Ragtime" by E.L. Doctorow
This production is directed and choreographed by Marcia Milgrom Dodge

As of December 22 2015, the current national touring company of "RAGTIME: THE MUSICAL" includes:
Coalhouse Walker- CHRIS SAMS
Tahteh- MATTHEW CURIANO
Mother- KATE TURNER
Sarah- LESLIE JACKSON
Father- TROY BRUCHWALSKI
Grandfather- BOB MARCUS
Younger Brother- DONALD COOGIN
The Little Boy- COLIN MYERS/JORDAN SANTIAGO
The Little Girl- CARA MYERS/LELANI SANTIAGO
Evelyn Nesbit- JILLIAN VAN NIEL
Harry Houdini- MARK ALPERT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)