Revisit: "WICKED" ☑


   .





           On May 30 2015, I won the "WICKED" lottery and I was able to see the show again! This going to be kind of a review because I've already seen this exact cast. Judging from last night's performance, I went on an off night last week. You can read my review from last week's performance here.

The cast:

   There must have been something in Alyssa Fox's (Elphaba) water last night because she was so much better than she was last week. Last week, she became my 10th favorite Elphaba. Just from last night's performance, she became my FAVORITE Elphaba (Sorry Jennifer DiNoia)!!! Last night she was both a spectacular actress and singer equally. Last week, her speaking voice is how I imagine Elphaba's speaking voice. Now, I can say the same for both her speaking voice and singing voice! Her riffs were fabulous as well. Fox as Elphaba has become one of the best performances I've seen in any show so far. She is truly my new favorite Elphaba.


Image result for alyssa fox and carrie st. louis
Alyssa Fox as Elphaba

   
           I've figured out what is wrong with Carrie St. Louis as Glinda. You see, I stage door at every show that I see. So since I saw this cast twice, I met St. Louis twice. She is already a goofy person (in a good way) offstage, so when she goes onstage and she is supposed to act "ditzy" as Glinda. This causes her performance to come off as overacted. She still comes off as "ditzy" in the second act because her personality offstage rubs off on her performance. In the first act, her normal personality works, but in the second act, it does not. She is still a great singer and is hilarious (when she needs to be), but my opinion on her performance didn't really change.

                                  Again, Fox and Louis are a great Elphaba and Glinda pair.

Image result for alyssa fox and carrie st. louis
Carrie St. Louis as Glinda and Alyssa Fox as Elphaba



      I still have the same opinion on John Davidson as The Wizard and Ashley Parker Angel as Fiyero. I can't stand either of their singing voices. During "Wonderful", Davidson was out of breath really fast and Angel's "As Long As Your Mine" is cringe worthy and his singing during "Dancing Through Life" was decent. However, both of them are wonderful actors.


Ashley Parker Angel as Fyiero




   
     Kristine Zbornick is great as Madame Morrible. She has great acting chops and is probably one of my favorites in the role (after Kathy Fitzgerald)

    Another great improvement from last week's performance was Liana Hunt in the role of Nessarose. She is an amazing actress and singer. Her voice was a lot louder than it was last week, but it is still very soft.

Image result for Liana Hunt Nessarose
Liana Hunt as Nessarose
 Lee Slobotkin is still really great as Boq. I really enjoyed his performance.


Image result for lee slobotkin boq
Lee Slobotkin as Boq


 I have decided that Michael Devries is my favorite Dr. Dillamond.

 Sitting in the front row at "Wicked" is absolutely perfect! The show is breathtaking and it feels like you are somewhat apart of the action! But, then depending on what angle you're in the front row at you can see either a little or a lot of what is happening in the wings. Where I was...I could see A LOT of what was happening in the wings. I saw people getting ready for entrances, people doing quick changes, I even saw them hooking up the flying broom for "Defying Gravity"! I admit, this was kind of cool, but it can get very distracting. It was just the angle we were act.

       Overall, this was my favorite time seeing "WICKED" or any other show so far. I love this show so much and I try to see it with every chance I get and you should too. 5 stars.

 "WICKED"

Music and Lyrics by Stephen Schwartz
Book by Winnie Holzman

For more information, please visit  http://www.wickedthemusical.com/broadway-tickets




Image result for wicked


   Image result for 5 stars


The current principal cast of the second national tour of "Wicked" consists of:
Elphaba- JESSICA VOSK
Glinda- GINNA CLAIRE MASON
The Wizard- FRED APPLEGATE
Fiyero- JEREMY WOODARD
Madame Morrible- ISABEL KEATING
Nessarose- JENNY FLORKOWSKI
Boq- ROBIN DE JESUS
Dr. Dillamond- HARRY BOUVY


   






















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)