Local Review: "Hairspray" at Kids n Co. Performance Center



      Okay. Before I start this review I need to say this...I already don't like "Hairspray" that much as a whole. THERE I SAID IT!!!!!!!!!!! The reason why I don't like the show itself is because it is a boring story and I don't care what happens to the characters. I have sat through the movie version of "Hairspray" a few times and made it through. But, when I try to watch a video of the stage show...I am incredibly bored after "I Can Hear the Bells".  The reason why I could stand "Hairspray" is because the songs save it. In fact, the movie takes out most of the songs I don't like. However, I must say this production of "Hairspray" MIGHT have changed my mind. The reason I put the word might in all capital letters is because there are still songs I don't like.

     The show opens up with the song "Good Morning Baltimore" which was sung by the leading lady Tracy Turnblad (played by Nichole Hardgrove). Hardgrove made a huge splash and immediately charmed the audience. However, Hardgrove doesn't really fit the characters profile of "big", which can be a huge obstacle for a show about a girl who is judged about her weight. Anyways, this staging of "Good Morning Baltimore" is one of the best stagings that I have seen of this song.

   In the role of Tracy, Hardgrove had an outstanding voice but needs more emotion on her face, and like I said, she is not really that big. Although Hardgrove gave a lovely vocal performance, her character wasn't seasoned enough.

    Raul Chavez gave a very enjoyable performance in the role of Edna. He was absolutely hilarious and sang all of the songs in a very interesting way. In the role of Wilbur Turnblad, Tracy's father, Skyler Carreon gave a hilarious performance. Both of them were easily the best of the 3 main couples in the show.

  Link Larkin (Tracy's love interest) was played by Texas Hart. Hart has an extraordinary voice and was well developed in his character.

In the role of Seaweed J. Stubbs, Kendal Murray gave a well acting performance but his vocal performance fell flat.  Same goes for Paige Hale who played the role of Velma Von Tussle. Also, Murray needs to work on projecting. I was sitting in the last row of the small theatre and I could barely hear was he was saying.

   Now, lets talk about Tanisha Lewis who played the role of Motormouth Maybelle. Lewis was the best person in the entire show. No contest. In every song she sang, she brought the house down. I think out of all of the songs in this show, Lewis' got some of the most applause.

  Other standouts in the cast include, Jorge Blakely (Corny Collins),  Jaeme Orfanos (Penny Pinlgeton), and Marisa Yanez (Amber Von Tussle).

     If I were the music director of this show, I would've killed the council members because during "The Nicest Kids in Town" they were louder than Blakely. Its not his fault though because I can hear him its just that the council members are overpowering him way too much. 

    Now, I am not going to sugarcoat how the set looked. It looked like it was painted by an elementary school art class. There were also large set pieces that looked great, but were painted terribly. I am sorry but it had to be said. Also, the set changes were painfully long. I was even tempted to scream "Hurry up".  

     Overall, the show was really amazing. The cast is very energetic and everyone seems to be giving it their all. Go see it if you have the chance. I give it a 4 out of 5.

 Image result for 4 stars out of 5

"Hairspray"
May 15-June 14 (no performances May 29-31)
 Kids n Co. Performance Center
Address: 1301, Texas Avenue.


 Hairspray.jpg


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)