Local Review: EPCC Theatre Ensemble's production of "The Heiress"

   I have said many times on this blog that I am not into straight plays very much. I have nothing against them, they just aren't my cup of tea. However, whenever I do attend a production of a straight play, I tend to really enjoy them. I would certainly say that I thoroughly enjoyed El Paso Community College's outstanding production of Ruth and Augusts Goetz's play, The Heiress, which is a fascinating play about a woman named Catherine Sloper, who is the heir to her wealthy father's fortune. Throughout the show, we see her navigate her romantic life and try to find her footing with herself, her father, and the people around her.

   The EPCC production of The Heiress was very gratifying. Their production was one of those shows where I more or less put down my critical lens and became fully invested in the story and the characters, which I would say is a very high compliment, considering that I am very critical of anything and everything. The Heiress is very well written and it is very easy to be on the edge of your seat during this show. There were moments throughout the show where I had thought the story would not have the outcome that I wanted and I was prepared to stand up and threaten to rewrite the show. Luckily that was not necessary, since the show does a wonderful job at pleasing the audience. I wouldn't change any of the main events of the story.

   Leading the company as Catherine Sloper was Cristy Zermeno, who was transcendent in every single way. Zermeno truly invests herself in the character and gives an absolutely heart wrenching and gorgeous performance. I thought everybody in the cast did a great job in their perspective roles, but I might return to the show just to see her stunning performance again. I have seen many shows in the El Paso area, with some really amazing performances, but Zermeno's performance ranks among the best I have seen in El Paso. That is not a compliment I simply toss around, I was genuinely blown away by her performance.

   Another emotionally layered performance came from Ricardo Hernandez who played the role of Dr. Austin Sloper, Catherine's father, who is constantly hostile and unloving to her. At the beginning of the show, Hernandez's portrayal doesn't quite strike you as the type of character you would dislike, but as the show goes on, everyone in the audience grows to HATE his character. The same can be said for Catherine's love interest, Morris, who is played by a dashing, Jesus Hernandez. As I have already mentioned, I feel like everyone in the show was well cast, but another huge standout was Fernanda Antoine who was lovable and gave a beautifully understood performance as Catharine's aunt and first confidante, Lavinia.

  The show was mostly well written by Ruth and Agustus Goetz, but it is not the strongest script out there. The plot really doesn't start to get interesting until about halfway through the first act and from then on, you are mostly with the plot and the characters. This is one of those rare occasions where I felt the second act was 100% stronger than the first. That is not to insult second acts, as I love second acts, but in the case of The Heiress the second act is almost the entire show. It is not that there aren't important plot points in the first act, there are, but this show could have easily been a one act. 

  As for the show's behind the scenes aspects, I thought that David Paz's set looked very sophisticated. I have always felt that EPCC did a good job with their sets, but this one is my favorite one that I have seen there so far. The costumes by Emily Smith, Carin Galanter, and Maria Hart were simply divine and it was amazing to see one of the characters sit down in an elaborate hoop skirt. You can also easily tell that the director, Ted Karber, Jr., did his very best to pull the strongest performances possible out of each of his cast members and he succeeded in doing so.                   

  The Heiress is a show I would say is worth seeing for the tremendously heartfelt performances coming from the cast and for the story that constantly keeps you wondering what will happen next. I am highly considering attending EPCC's performance of The Heiress again. If I do, it will not be to update or further embellish this review, but rather for my own personal enjoyment.




Image result for the heiress play



THE HEIRESS 
by Ruth and Agustus Goets
Based on the novel Washington Square by Henry James


The EPCC Theatre Ensemble's production of THE HEIRESS was directed by Ted Karber, Jr., and runs from March 2-11, 2018. The EPCC Theatre Ensemble is located at the Transmountain Campus Forum Theater, 9570 Gateway North. The cast of THE HEIRESS consisted of:
Maria- DANIELA TAPIA
Dr. Austin Sloper- RICARDO HERNANDEZ
Lavinia Penniman- FERNANDA ANTOINE
Catherine Sloper- CRISTY ZERMENO
Elizabeth Almond- ANA PAULA MONTOYA
Arthur Townsend- FRANCISCO BOCANEGRA
Marian Almond- VICTORIA ROSALES
Morris Townsend- JESUS HERNANDEZ
Mrs. Montgomery- MELODY CARRILLO



   

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)