Ten Actresses Who I Think Should Star in "Hello, Dolly!"

    On January 20, 2018, Broadway legend, Bernadette Peters, joined the 2017 Broadway Revival of Hello, Dolly!, taking over the title role from Bette Midler, who opened the production. In the original production of Hello, Dolly!, many stars took over the role of Dolly Gallagher Levi from Carol Channing throughout the show's 7 year run. These actresses were Ginger Rogers, Martha Raye, Betty Grable, Bibi Osterwald, Pearl Bailey (who was joined by an all black cast for her two-year run), Thelma Carpenter, Phyllis Diller, and finally, Ethel Merman. Other notable stars to have played the role in professional productions include Mary Martin, Madeline Kahn, Randy Graff, Beth Leavel, and many more. My love of the current production of Hello, Dolly! has led me to fantasizing about all the actresses who could take over the role in the production that will hopefully run as long or longer than the original production. So, here is a list of all the actresses that I would like to see take over the role of Dolly from Bernadette Peters and other subsequent actresses. Before I begin, let it be known that if any of the potential Dollys that I list need an alternate to do one or more shows a week, I want it to be Sheryl Lee Ralph (Dreamgirls, Wicked).

#10:

DOLLY PARTON:
Image result for dolly parton headshot



  In compiling this list, I only considered actresses who could both nail the role and bring in the ticket sales required to sustain a long run. Dolly Parton fits both of those requirements. I don't know what it is, but I feel like Dolly Parton would be a fabulous Dolly Levi. Dolly Parton would truly bring an elegance and style to the role that hasn't been seen before. The songs would fit her voice very well and I think that everyone would flock to the Shuburt Theatre to see Dolly play Dolly. The longer I think about this dreamcasting, the easier I can see it. She fits the persona and would be an absolute delight in the role.



#9:

GLENN CLOSE:
Image result for glenn close sunset boulevard 2017




  Having just headlined last year's revival of Sunset Boulevard, Glenn Close's next big musical theatre role should be the matchmaker on 44th street that everybody knows and loves. Audiences would surely love to see this big movie star taking on one of musical theatre's most iconic roles. I thought of this casting when I dreamcasted Bette Midler as Norma Desmond in the aforementioned Sunset Boulevard. Wouldn't it be fun if Sunset Boulevard was revived again and Glenn Close and Bette Midler did a switcheroo? They could even have double feature discounts! Are you listening, Scott Rudin?

#8:

WHOOPI GOLDBERG:

Image result for whoopi goldberg headshot



  Whoopi Goldberg is a natural choice for the role of Dolly Levi. It would be an excellent way for her to exude her large persona even more so than she already does. Every Dolly put their own complete spin on the role and Whoopi Goldberg would be a very unique choice. The songs sit in a place that is very nice for Goldberg's vocal range and she would do the comedy marvelously. People had suggested for her to be Midler's Tuesday night alternate, but I think that Whoopi Goldberg deserves to be one of the show's next headliners. However, she might not be able to make Wednesday matinees because of her job at ABC's The View. That's where Sheryl Lee Ralph comes in...@ScottRudin.

#7:

KRISTIN CHENOWETH:
Image result for kristin chenoweth art of elegance



   Back in 2013, Kristin Chenoweth was attached to a revival of Hello, Dolly! that never came to fruition. Allowing Chenoweth to join the current production would be a great apology for not giving Chenoweth her very own revival of the show. I am not sure she could bring in the numbers that Bette Midler did, but there is not a doubt in my mind that she would be dazzling in the role. Could you imagine her walking down that staircase? Or belting out "Before the Parade Passes By?" I know I can and it's amazing. Too bad her performance in the role only lives in my mind...for now.


#6:

LIZA MINNELLI:

Image result for liza minnelli headshot



   I don't know what it would take to get her back to Broadway, but Liza Minnelli would be a RIOT as Dolly Gallagher Levi. She has such a large personality and seeing her in the role would probably be some of the most fun anyone has ever had in the theatre. Minnelli's "So Long, Dearie" would be insanity. Her entire performance would be psychotic in the best way possible. I do think that her performance would ultimately become Liza Minnelli playing herself, but who wouldn't want to see that?!?!? Somebody else who would have been a phenomenal Dolly is Minnelli's mother, Judy Garland. Here is a video of the two of them performing a version of the title number.

#5:

BARBRA STREISAND:

Image result for barbra streisand hello dolly


   I am 100% aware that there is no way IN HELL that Barbra Streisand would agree to do Hello, Dolly! on Broadway but I just couldn't leave her off this list. It is a known fact that Streisand did NOT enjoy starring in the 1969 film version of Hello, Dolly!, so placing bets on her ever joining the show is a HUGE gamble. Even if she was interested in taking her performance to Broadway, she would ask for too much money and at that point the show would probably have to close after giving her a month's salary. I wish I could say that if they played their cards right, they could probably get her to do it, but I'm afraid Barbra Streisand ever joining the Broadway production is something that will only happen in Dreamland. But  I am persistent so, Barbra, if you out there reading this, please join the show. Even if it's just for a few weeks, everyone would go see you and love you. Who cares if you aren't getting paid all the money I will make in my entire life? I am begging you to join the show. We all want it. You would be even better now than you were when you made the movie. If eight shows a week is an issue, it's okay because we have Sheryl Lee Ralph on hand to do anywhere up to three shows a week.

#4:

REBA McENTIRE:

Image result for reba mcentire headshot



  Reba McEntire is no stranger to replacing Bernadette Peters, as she took over from her in 2001 as the title role in the Broadway revival of Annie Get Your Gun. Although I cannot personally testify on McEntire's performance as Annie Oakley, I continue to hear about how amazing she was in that show. Reba McEntire would be a brilliant Dolly Gallagher Levi and as she proved on her sitcom, she would get all of the laughs in the world. I think McEntire as Dolly (and Annie Oakley) is perfect casting and there is really no reason for her not to play the role, especially considering that she would sell lots of tickets. So, let's get Reba back to Broadway!

#3:

QUEEN LATIFAH:
Image result for queen latifah photoshoot



   Queen Latifah was one of the names rumored to take over the role of Dolly Gallagher Levi from Bette Midler. On Andy Cohen's talk show, Watch What Happens Live, she stated that she was in negotiations to take over in a Broadway show (presumably Hello, Dolly!) but the timing did not work out. If Queen Latifah were to ever take on the role of Dolly, I believe that Queen Latifah would be the perfect actress to headline the show if the production were to usher an all black cast into the show, as the original production did (although they could do that with anyone and I'd be happy). I also believe that she would likely be one of the most entertaining Dolly Levis ever. Queen Latifah has a larger than life personality that is perfect for Dolly Levi and she would sing THE HECK out of all of those songs. Her thrilling acting chops would probably create one of the most emotional and uplifting "Before the Parade Passes By." I wish Queen Latifah did more musicals.

#2:

PATTI LuPONE:
Image result for patti lupone headshot



  Patti LuPone in the titular role of Hello, Dolly! is a no brainer. She's another actress who is simply perfect for the role and after having played other iconic roles such as Eva Peron, Reno Sweeney, Miss Lovett, and Mama Rose, Dolly Gallagher Levi would be a great role for her to add to the list. LuPone would be truly spectacular and attract people from everywhere to see the show. I'd say almost any actress on this list would be a "must see" event, but LuPone more so than some of others because of the thrilling reputation that precedes her. She would put her Julliard training to work and create a beautifully understood and iconic performance. There is no need for me to further explain why she should play the role, you know why she should. Mandy Patinkin could even be her Horace Vandergelder.

#1:

AUDRA McDONALD:
Image result for audra mcdonald headshot



Typically, I would have given Patti LuPone the #1 spot on this list. However, I chose Audra McDonald as my #1 choice to be the next Dolly because according to Broadway columnist, Michael Reidel, and BroadwayWorld, she actually is the star they are perusing to replace Bernadette Peters. I'm not sure I would have thought of McDonald to play the role, but now that they have put the idea into my head, I have pretty much accepted that she is the next Dolly Gallagher Levi, although the production has yet to make anything official. I am not sure what kind of numbers Audra McDonald would bring in to the box office, but there is not a doubt in my mind that she can financially sustain the show's run, even if it's just for a few months. Audra McDonald would be a dream as Dolly Gallagher Levi. I'd be happy with anyone as her Horace Vandergelder, but they should keep Victor Garber with the show if Audra McDonald joins, because then it could be a reunion for them, as they starred in the 1999 remake of Annie together. Brian Stokes Mitchell as her Horace is also a dreamcast from heaven. Jerry Herman's score probably wouldn't showcase McDonald's lovely voice as much as other scores have, but she would certainly do the role justice. I will continue to say this about everyone who plays the role, but I would make attempts to get to New York and see that performance if it were to happen.

Image result for hello dolly revival



   I would LOVE for any of these actresses to have a crack at Hello, Dolly! on Broadway. As of now, Bernadette Peters' advance sales have me slightly nervous about the current production's future, but I imagine that the incredible Broadway legend will be able to pull all of the people possible into the Shubert Theatre to help give the revival the long life it deserves, even if not through advance sales. Bernadette Peters is contracted to be with the show until July of this year, so when the time comes to line up the next Dolly, I hope somebody important finds this list and listens to what I have to say. After all, they did get in my mind and cast Bernadette Peters, who was also one of my top choices to play the role. In closing, all I have to say is that I LOVE HELLO, DOLLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)