Local Review: Sun City Musical Theatre's Production of "The Rocky Horror Show"

   After witnessing Sun City Musical Theatre's production of Into the Woods, I wasn't sure what to expect from their production of Richard O'Brien's Rocky Horror Show. Anyone who knows anything knows that this show has a huge cult following. So, every time a new rendition of the show is performed, everyone is eager to see what each individual company does with the material and physical production. The Sun City Musical Theatre chose to make their production a replica of the London Playhouse production that was aired in cinemas in the United Kingdom. 

  The SCMT production  of The Rocky Horror Show was a straight up copy of the London's Playhouse Theatre production (Which can be viewed on YouTube), even down to simple acting choices. Normally, I wouldn't care about straight up carbon copies, but I am saying it now because as far as I'm aware, no credit was given to this production that they took almost every single move from. Not supplying the creative team at the London Playhouse with the proper credit is essentially plagiarism. If it were just a couple of scenes, I probably wouldn't have said anything but the entire show was copied from the London Playhouse production. If you are going to recreate an entire production, you better give credit. The sad part is, that even having everything laid out for them, the show still managed to be a mess.   

   If I had not seen The Rocky Horror Show before, I wouldn't have had a clue what was happening during the show. The blocking was all over the place, none of the cast members were doing the choreography in sync for the entire show and it was just unorganized, even the scene changes. It also didn't help that I couldn't understand a word that any of the performers were saying the entire show. I heard them, but I didn't know what they were saying. However, despite all of this I had fun watching the show. I think this is because of the fact that it is Rocky Horror and you just can't go to any showing or performance of Rocky Horror and not have fun. Also, it was an audience participation showing so it was fun to do that. During the first act, I had a lot of fun despite everything that was happening but during the second act, I was actually rather bored.

   There seemed to be a few good performances coming from the cast members but nobody really stood out among the others. I feel like I am supposed to write one of my normal long reviews that I've become really accustomed to this past year, but this is really everything I have to say about this production. So I am just going to leave it at that. It wasn't a good show, but I had a good time attending the performance thanks to all of the participation opportunities that presented themselves throughout the show.

Image may contain: one or more people and text


 Sun City Musical Theatre's production of Richard O'Brien's THE ROCKY HORROR SHOW was directed by Courtney Curtis and the principal cast consisted of:
Brad- DAVID HERRING
Janet- EMILY CLARK
Narrator- STEVE HAYES
Riff Raff- VICTER MENDOZA
Magenta/Usherette- COURTNEY CURTIS
Columbia- ANA CRISTINA GRAJEDA
Frank N Furter- EDDY FRAYRE
Rocky- JAVI OCHOA
Eddie/Dr. Scott- FRANK CARRION

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)