Local Review: Kids n Co's Production of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory"

   Not only is "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" (also known as "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory") on Broadway right now, but so is "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812." The reason I bring up "Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812" is because that show uses the brilliant idea of immersive staging in which they involve the audience as apart of the action, although there's no real audience participation. "The Great Comet"'s staging works, with the action taking place all over the theatre, but not a single person misses any of the action. The Kids n Co. production of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" also used the same idea of this immersive staging and performed the show around the audience. However, that idea did not work for this production. I suppose that it could have worked, but when your audience has to constantly hoist themselves around to the point of discomfort to see the show, then there's a problem.

  This production of "Willy Wonka" wasn't bad by any means, but I couldn't see any of it because of the choices that were made with the staging. Most of the action in the first act took place either far stage left or behind me. I could have enjoyed it more than I did if it were just staged in a traditional proscenium style, with the show taking place in front of the audience. One thing that the staging highlighted was that the audience was missing key moments in the plot because of having to turn around or not being able to see what was happening. For example, I totally missed Vercua Salt being introduced as a golden ticket winner, she sort of just showed up to the factory. However, that is also at the fault of the script writers for not making sure that moment (in addition to others) got the attention that it needed.

  Other than that, it was a fine production. The opening number of the show was pretty rock solid, but after that I couldn't see anything until the second act. Each person in the cast was suitable to their role. Nobody really overshadowed anybody and everyone complemented each other.

  Seeing this production really made me realize how thin the Music Theatre International "Junior" shows really are. I'm not sure who puts together the "junior" shows (sometimes it's the writers, sometimes it's not), but in the end, you are left with very little material. As I mentioned, you really don't get to see a lot of those important moments and things that would normally be considered "iconic" feel like they've been glossed over. I personally believe that Music Theatre International should simply get rid of their "Junior" collection because they really serve no purpose. I'd honestly rather sit through two hours of a show that has depth rather than a show that is one hour that has no depth too it.

  This production of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" was aptly put together, but there wasn't anything about it that blew me away. The staging kept me from seeing a vast majority of the show, so it's hard for me to really write a proper review of this show. But I must say that the production's staging did suceed in it's cohesiveness. This type of interpretation simply didn't work in the setting that the show was performed in. "The Great Comet" works because nobody in the audience has to turn around or maneuver themselves just to see what is going on. If the audience has to do either of those things, then you shouldn't do that type of production. Good show, but I couldn't see any of it.

Image result for willy wonka and the chocolate factory  mti



The Kids n Co production of "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" was directed by Anthony Michael Stokes and the cast consisted of:
Willy Wonka/Candy Man- JOHN ROBLEDO III
Charlie Bucket- V. WILLIAMS
Grandpa Joe- ANGEL CESAR CAMORA
Mr. Bucket- ROMANTI-EZER MATA
Mrs. Bucket- REILLY ROBINS
Phineous Trout- BENJAMIN ROSALES
Mike Teavee- MAXIMO PEARSON
Mr. Teavee- HANNAH REYNOLDS
Augustus Gloop- GRADY LOCKE
Mrs. Gloop- EVE WILLIAMS
Violet Beauregarde- LAUREN COOK
Mrs. Beauregarde- BROOKE BRYAN
Veruca Salt- ABIGAIL LOCKE
Mr. Salt- DANIEL DELGADO



Comments

  1. You are one of only two people who have commented poorly - as far as I KNOW, anyway - on the staging. That isn't meant as a disparaging remark, just an observation. I do see your point. I also agree about the script being "thin," so to speak; it was one of the first things that struck me when I got into the project. However, I certainly had fun with it, from the actor's perspective - Willy Wonka was honestly one of my favorite roles I've ever had the honor and pleasure of playing, and we actually made a few changes to the script that I think helped the play out considerably - and I feel we did have some really standout moments. I'm glad you still enjoyed the show, despite being unable to see half of it from where you were at. Thank you for coming!

    Sincerely,
    J.A.R.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)