Off Topic: "Moana"

    Although this is a theatre review blog and not a movie review blog, I have to talk about Disney Animation's latest feature film, "Moana". The reason I wanted to talk about "Moana" on this theatre blog is because everyone's favorite person, Lin-Manuel Miranda ("In the Heights", "Hamilton") wrote the movie's songs, along with Opetaia Foa'i. What makes this slightly on topic for this blog is not only Miranda's presence, but also the fact that this film is a musical. So, here is a review of "Moana".

   I have been anticipating "Moana" ever since it was announced. I am a huge Disney nut, so how could I not be excited? Not only would this film add to the never ending list of Disney animated features, but it would also introduce a new princess the Disney Princess line up. When it was announced that Lin-Manuel Miranda would be writing the film's music, my excitement went through the roof. Did "Moana" live up to my incredibly high expectations? Absolutely. The film tells the story of a girl named Moana who must venture past the reef, with a demigod named Maui, to restore the heart of the island in order to restore her island's prosperity. "Moana" was a wonderful film that really represents what Disney is to me in my mind. It is a story about adventure, family, and determination, which are all things that are important to have in a Disney movie.

   "Moana" is very much a traditional Disney musical.  Like most Disney movies, it had a mostly positive start, a journey, a huge climax, a brief let down, then a happy ending. The story was put together very well and I am very glad that Disney has been leaning towards all new stories, especially in the past few years. I think the work that Disney is doing right now is definitely one of the biggest highs in the company's history, aside from the Renaissance of the late 1980-90s. It's not perfect, but I don't have any real issues with the writing for "Moana", I just think that it's a great story with great characters. It really is just a fantastic Disney film all around.

   The cast featured newcomer, Auli'i Cravahol, as Moana. Cravahol certainly has a bright future ahead of her, seeing as her vocal performance as Moana was very charismatic and memorable. Dwayne Johnson was cast perfectly as Maui. Not only does he pull of the character very well, but who knew he could sing so well? I certainly didn't. In my opinion, the character of Maui was very reminiscent of Robin Williams' Genie in Disney's "Aladdin". The entire voice cast was very good, with the other standouts being Rachel House as Moana's grandmother, Nicole Scherzinger as Moana's Mother, Temuera Morrison as Moana's father, and Christopher Jackson, who provided the singing voice for Moana's father.
Image result for moana
Maui and Moana


    Of course, Lin-Manuel Miranda and  music was divine. What can I say about his music in this that I haven't already said about his previous music. His lyrics are meaningful and his music is intricate. Songs such as "We Know the Way" and "How Far I'll Go" are beautifully crafted songs. In context with the film and animation, the beauty of the song "We Know the Way" made me a bit emotional. I enjoyed all of the film's music, however I must say, that the villain song, which belongs to a crab, didn't quite do it for me. The film's score was written by Mark Mancina, who's arrangements fit the movie and setting perfectly.

  "Moana" is a wonderful addition to the Disney repertoire. Everything about the film is just so terrific. The story, the characters, the music, and the animation are all hits in my book and there is no doubt in my mind that the little stuffed piggies will sell like hotcakes, Moana's hilarious chicken sidekick will also help contribute to all of the money that this film will make. Like a lot of the other Disney classics, "Moana" will surely be watched for years and years to come. I would tell you to go see it, but you will anyway.

Image result for moana poster



Image result for 4 and a half stars

  

The cast of Disney's "MOANA" consists of:
Moana- AULI'I CRAVALHO
Maui- DWAYNE JOHNSON
Grandma Tala- RACHEL HOUSE
Chief Tui Waialiki- TEMUERA MORRISON (Singing Voice- CHRISTOPHER JACKSON)
Sina Waialiki- NICOLE SCHERZINGER
Tamatoa- JEMAINE CLEMENT


  

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)