Local Review: The EPCC Theatre Ensemble Production of "Guys and Dolls"

  "Guys and Dolls" is probably one of the most beloved shows of all time. It has been around for such a long time and it is certainly one of the most widely done shows in community, regional, and high school theatres. The show has a memorable plot, score, as well as a fun line up of characters. With that being said, last night I saw my second production of "Guys and Dolls" at the EPCC theatre. Overall, it was a really nice production. It had it's issues but I found it to be mostly enjoyable. I am glad that EPCC decided to take a step away from the contemporary shows that they normally do. Even with the issues that I personally had, I would definitely say this is one of the better EPCC shows I have seen.

   In case for whatever reason you weren't aware, "Guys and Dolls" is about a gambler (Sky Masterson) who has to take a missionary girl (Sarah Brown) to Havana as apart of a bet. The gambler who makes the bet is Nathan Detroit, who runs the floating crap game that most of the plot centers around. Also in the mix is Nathan's fiance of 14 years, Adelaide, who just wants to end Nathan's floating crap game and marry him.

   I would like to start with the best parts of this production, which were Miss Adelaide (Jordyn Catanach) and the sidekick gamblers, Nicely-Nicely (Salvador Cervantes) and Benny Southstreet (Salvador Ali Mendoza). Catanach, Cervantes, and Mendoza easily stole the entire show. They were perfectly cast and were absolutely delightful. The well known role of Sarah Brown, the missionary" was played by Hannah Perches. I thought that Perches was good as Sarah Brown, but some of the songs were too high for her and I think that they should have brought it down for her in order for her to be the best she can be, I think this also affected her diction in the song "I'll Know", which is the song I am referring too when I say it was too high for her. Another huge standout in my book is Joel Anguiano who played Arvide Abenrathy, Sarah's grandfather.

  I thought that the show's two male leads, Nathan Detroit (Erick Canales) and Sky Masterson (Diego Oropeza)  were very miscast. I never felt like there was a character in Canales' Nathan Detroit. He simply wasn't right for the role at all. I would look at some of the ensemble members throughout the entire show and think "Why aren't you playing Nathan Detroit?" Canales would have been a much better fit for Sky. As for Oropeza, I did not enjoy his performance as Sky Masterson. Like Canales' Nathan Detroit, I didn't feel any depth in his performance and for most of the show he had a blank look on his face. Also, I never felt that there was any chemistry between him and Perches.
 
  I would like to take a moment to give a shout out to the missionary girl who stands furthest downstage during "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat". I don't know who she was but she just looked so delighted to be there and she had a wonderful stage presence. I wish they gave her more to do because she was just so happy.

  EPCC always does a good job with their sets. Set designer, David Paz, gave the set a bit more of a contemporary feel, which I thought worked. My only issue with the set was that they used projections (by Dominic Pajano) on the side for the scenes in the sewers and the park, that honestly looked like they were copied and pasted from Google images and into Microsoft PowerPoint. If you have read some of my previous reviews of EPCC shows, then you might remember that I made comments about their sound system not being very good. It wasn't as iffy as it usually is, but it just isn't where it should be. It muffles the sound of the actor's voices and at times makes it hard to understand them.

  I think it is absolutely wonderful that EPCC is stepping out of what they normally do and I think that is good for everyone involved, especially for the audience who was tired of their normal act. I have to give it 3.5 out 5.

Image result for guys and dolls


Image result for 3. 5 stars

 "GUYS AND DOLLS"
Music by Frank Loesser
Book and Lyrics by Joe Swerling and Abe Burrows

 The EPCC production of "GUYS AND DOLLS" is directed by Keith Townsend and runs from August 25-September 4 2016. For more information, visit http://forumtheater.wixsite.com/epcc

The cast of the EPCC production of "GUYS AND DOLLS" consists of:
Nicely Nicely Johnson- SALVDOR CERVANTES
Benny Southstreet- SALVADOR ALI MENDOZ
Sarah Brown- HANNAH PERCHES
Arvide Abernathy- JOEL ANGUIANO
Nathan Detroit- ERICK CANALES
Miss Adelaide- JORDYN CATANACH
Sky Masterson- DIEGO OROPEZA
Big Jule- LUCAS PACHECO



  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)