Local Review: The Kids n Co. Production of "A Company of Wayward Saints"

 There are so many straight plays that I haven't heard of. You could probably go down a list of 100 straight plays and chances are that I have heard of at least twenty of them, but am only familiar with six of them. Last night, I saw one of the straight plays that I have never heard of. Every so often, I see a straight play and whenever I do, I say "Ugh, a play" and then I end up enjoying it. And I will tell you that is what happened last night when I attended a performance of the Kids n Co. production of "A Company of Wayward Saints".

   "A Company of Wayward Saints" (written by George Herman)  is about a group of performers who are performing for a duke who will give the group money to go home if they do well. It is quite an amusing little show. The written material isn't quite the best, but it certainly isn't bad. The first act moves at a rapid pace, while the second act moves at a very slow pace, causing the show to lag at certain points. Also, things got really chaotic in the writing during the first act, but I think some of that came out of the production's blocking. My feeling on the show's humor are very mixed. Some of the jokes were really funny, but many of the other jokes were trying way too hard, resulting in the joke not being funny. Other than those issues, the show was very entertaining and I enjoyed it very much.

   The show was very well cast. Everyone gave performances that were tastefully over the top. Jared Berry (Harlequin) stole the show every second he was onstage, Raul Chavez (Pantalone) and Corbin Williams (Dottore) were both very fun to watch, Dominic Long (Captiano) charmed the audience,  Isabella Candelaria was adorable as Ruffiana, Brit Bagley (Tristano), Kat Henry (Columbine), and Anthony Munoz (Scapiano) gave exactly what the script called for. Finally, if this show were a musical, it would have been Sidnee Coder (Isabella)'s extended audition for Eliza in "Hamilton".

  While director, Jim Lupercio, did a wonderful job assembling the cast, the staging could have used some work. A lot of the blocking wasn't very well paced and as I mentioned earlier, things got very chaotic because of this. However, I think some of the chaos came from the diction of the perfomer's during certain scenes. There were also certain choices made that were unnecessary. For example, during one of the scenes, one of the characters violently threw a chair off the performing ground.

   Overall, "A Company of Wayward Saints" was a very well put together production. Since I attended the second to last performance, chances are you missed the show by the time this review is published, but believe me when I tell you that it was a very enjoyable production of a straight play.

 

Image result for 3. 5 stars


THE KIDS N CO. "A COMPANY OF WAYWARD SAINTS" ran at the Glasbox from March 26 to April 3.

The cast of "A COMPANY OF WAYWARD SAINTS" consisted of:
Harlequin- JARED BERRY
Pantalone- RAUL CHAVEZ
Capitano- DOMINIC LONG
Scapino- ANTHONY MUNOZ
Dottore- CORBIN WILLIAMS
Tristano- BRIT BAGLEY
Isabella- SIDNEE CODER
Ruffiana- ISABELLA CANDELARIA
Columbine- KAT HENRY
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)