"Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella" National Tour Review ☑

          On Thursday, March 12 2015, I saw the national tour of "Rodgers + Hammerstein's Cinderella"! This show is so amazing! I loved it so much. Just everything about it was so amazing. I have so many things to say about it. As usual, I am going to start off with the cast. There were quite a few understudies on so I'll make sure and talk about them.

    Paige Faure (who usually plays Ella)  was out. So instead I saw her understudy, Audrey Cardwell. I was really disapointed I was not going to see Faure, but I forgot all about her the second Cardwell stepped foot onstage. Audrey Cardwell was absolutley stunning as Cinderella. Her voice rang throughout the theatre. She has a gorgeous voice. I felt like some of her acting could have been just a bit better at some points. Overall, her performance was amazing. Once Faure leaves the show, I want to see her take over.

    Andy Jones was Prince Topher. He gave a great performance. I love the expanison on this character. I enjoyed watching his character grow and devolop. He also has a well stage presence and a wonderful singing voice. He also had a great chemistry with Cardwell as Cinderella. Their rendition of  "Do I Love You Becasue You're Beautiful" and "Lonliness of Evening" brought tears to my eyes. I can still hear them now. APPLAUSE!!!


     Beth Glover (who usually plays Madame, Ella's stepmother) was out. So instead I saw her understudy, Paige Williams. She was an excellent Madame. She was very believable and whenever sh spoke I'd get chills. The only problem I had with her was her age. She is obviously much younger than Beth Glover and the tour's new Madame as of Friday, Fran Drescher. She looks way younger offstage than she does onstage.

        Kecia Lewis was AWESOME in her role of Marie, Cinderella's Fairy Godmother. She was really funny and she has an amazing voice. Also a shout out to Davind Andino, who was a hilarious Jean-Michel. APPLAUSE to them both.

          The stepsisters Gabrielle and Charlotte were played by Kaitlyn Davidson and Aymee Garcia. In this version of Cinderella, you can't help but love the Stepsisters. They both have hearts in this version and I love that. Garcia was hilarious and bratty as Charlotte and Davidson is a sweet Gabrielle. I loved them both very much in their roles.

        All of the technical aspects of the show are phenomenal. Especially the costumes, which were designed by William Ivey Long who won a Tony Award for this show. The dress transformations are absolutley spectacular. It is truly MAGIC. No strobelights, no fog, no exits...it all happens before your  eyes. The sets which were done by Anna Louizos are beautiful. The orchestra sounded amazing and contributed to my emotions during the show very much. I got sort of emotional when Ella made her entrance into the ball BECAUSE of the orchestra! The lighting is also magical as well as the sound.
 
       If you were a fan of the Broadway production like I was and still am, you will notice some understandable scenery changes. The Woodland Creature is still there but it is something different from than it was on Broadway. You will also notice the exclusion of the song "He Was Tall". Does anyone know if "He Was Tall" stayed in the Broadway production after the tour opened.? Let me know.

  Although the Broadway production is now closed, you still have this production and it is just as amazing. If the tour comes anywhere near you, GO SEE IT!!! It is one of my favorites and may become one of yours! I give it a 5 out of 5!!!!!!

Music by Richard Rodgers
Lyrics By Oscar Hammerstein II
New Book by Douglas Carter Beane
Original Book by Oscar Hammerstein II

For more information, visit: http://www.cinderellaonbroadway.com/





Cinderella2013.jpg                                                                                                                                                                    


Image result for 5 stars

As of November 17 2015, the principal cast of the first national tour of "Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella" consists of:
Kaitlyn Davidson as Ella
Andy Huntington Jones as Prince Topher
Liz McCartney as Marie
Blair Ross as Madame
David Andino as Jean-Michel
Kimberly Faure as Gabrielle
Aymee Garcia as Charlotte
Blake Hammond as Sebastain
Chauncey Packer as Lord Pinkleton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)