"Flashdance: The Musical" National Tour

 On Saturday November 1st, I attended a performance of the current national tour of "Flashdance." If it weren't for all the talent on that stage, the show would've been weak. The show did not have flash. The show had dancing, but weak choreography. The talent that the cast had saved the entire show.


            Karli Dinardo played the role of "Alex" (played by Jennifer Beals in the 1983 film of the same title) Her performance in the role was great and believable. She had a strong voice and acting skills. Her voice shined during all of her songs. I would love to see her play other roles.
       Adam J. Rennie's performance as "Nick Hurley" was truly an excellent one. His voice was incredibly strong and his entire performance was truly amazing. I would also love to see him in many other shows.
      One of my favorite roles in the show was "Hannah" who was played by Patricia Bartlett. Her performance was strong and had me on the edge of my seat during her song "Experience." She had one of the best roles in the whole show.
         Other strong performances were Brianna Marie Bell as "Kiki, Heidi Friese as "Gloria" and Jacob Tischler as "Jimmy."

      The Technical elements of the show were not as thrilling as I hoped they would be. The iconic "water dump" I'll call it was not as thrilling as I hoped it would be. The show really didn't have much of a set...it had projections that made up for a set. That was pretty disappointing. To me projections aren't sets. They are projections and I do not enjoy projections making up as sets. However, the projections still looked great.

       The choreography was weak. This was more notable in the scenes at the club.
     
        Overall, it was still  a good show despite all of it's flaws. I'd consider seeing it again only if Patti LuPone played Hannah. Not something I'd really recommend, but it was still good. Definitely not one of the best shows I've seen. I give it a 3 and a half out of 5.

The music was also pretty weak. I haven't even seen the movie and I was still able to tell which songs were written for the stage show.

Talented Cast, Weak Piece 

Flashdance
Music and Lyrics by Robbie Roth and Robert Cary
Book by Tom Hedley and Robert Cary 

For more information visit http://www.flashdancethemusical.com/







             

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"The Phantom of the Opera" Restaged National Tour Review

7 Days of "Les Miserables", Day 4: The 10th Anniversary Concert (1995)

Carol Channing in "Hello, Dolly!" (1996)